- Posted 10 Apr
- 0 Comments
When it comes to buying a second hand car, you can’t go past Gumtree for finding a great deal. Gumtree is available across Australia. You’ll find great deals in your local area, no matter where you live.
Whether it’s Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide or Melbourne, you’ll find plenty of second hand car’s available.
However, there are a few things you should do to ensure that you don’t get ripped off. When you purchase off Gumtree, you are generally dealing with the general public, not a car dealer, so there are some checks and balances you need to do to ensure you get the best car deal in your area.
Follow these tips to secure a great car from Gumtree:
- Before you start looking, make sure you have all of your finance options in place. In most cases, you’ll be paying cash or by bank cheque. Make sure that the lender can provide you with the funds you need within a short time period to ensure that you don’t lose any potential deals. Australian Credit and Finance can help with this. Contact us to discuss all your car loan requirements.
- Make sure you know what you are looking for. It helps to create a list of ‘must have’ features so that you can narrow your options down. Once you’ve done that, do some further research on the actual cars. Gumtree offers some reviews and provides detailed information about the top selling Australian car makes and models. Read these first before making any concrete decisions.
- Before you make an offer on a car, make sure you know what the average price point is for the make and model of car you’re looking at. Gumtree provides a car valuation tool to help with this process. Make sure you also factor in things like mileage and the condition of the vehicle, as this will impact on the price as well.
- Decide on whether you will buy new or used. Gumtree provides both new and used cars, but in most cases, you’ll be able to get a better deal if you deal with someone directly, rather than a car dealer. If you go with a private sale, it’s always a good idea to have your mechanic check any cars out that you like first. RAC provide this service along with a number of insurance providers, so make sure that you do this. This can stop you from purchasing a vehicle that has some hidden issues.
- Always take the car for a test drive first. Never buy a car you haven’t driven. Make sure you view the car in daylight and not at night, this is to ensure you can see any dents or scratches clearly.
- Be prepared to negotiate. Factor in the mechanic’s report and any dents, scratches and anything else that is outside normal wear and tear as part of the negotiations. But play fair – you will always find a bargain on Gumtree, but you can’t expect to pay nothing for a car that is in good condition.
Always keep in mind your ‘must-have’ list and stick to your budget. It can be easy to go over this when you find something you really love.
If you need help with finance, car insurance or just recommendations on vehicle makes and models, contact the team at Australian Credit and Finance today. They’ll provide you with unbiased information so you can make an informed decision.